Thursday, June 4, 2009

October 2008 BJP


(My selected theme of memory books for this year's Bead Journal Project is based on the four elements: Earth, Air, Water, and Fire.)


Solstice Wood by Patricia A. McKillip



What stitcher or beader could resist this marvelous book? The story revolves around a Fiber Guild whose chief occupation is to stitch and weave threads to keep the Fairies from entering Lynn Hall. Their fear of the Fairies has been founded in ages-old stories passed down from the previous owners of Lynn Hall. But wondrous things occur to bring the two worlds of human and fairy together in the end.


This piece is based on the element of Air. The Fairy charm is covered with silk lavender threads which are embellished with crystals. The tiny crystals in the background are meant to be fireflies
(or perhaps fairies) in the evening time.


The enchanted flower was made with an antique ruby crystal stone. Pale pink flower beads, silver leaf charms, and a pearlized clear heart bead dangle from the scene.

I simply must add that making this little book brought back so many pleasurable memories of my paternal grandmother and her "magical" gardens. Many wonderful moments of "fairy sightings" were made there when I was a little girl . . . .





3 comments:

Robin said...

You're a great story teller, both with words and beads! I love the fairy's solstice wood!

Pursuing Art... said...

I adore this one! I agree with Robin, you are a wonderful story teller and your beading is exquisite!

I love the fireflies or perhaps fairies in the evening and it is wonderful to have such special memories of your grandmother's "magical" gardens! ~Lisa

Padparadscha said...

Oh I find this one delightful and I think I will read that book !